Starcraft by Blizzard Entertainment

Editor's Rating: 5.0/5
StarCraft PC Cover
GD Star Rating

At the time of this article, StarCraft is 10 years and 10 months old, yet far away from being abandonware. In the past week, Blizzard has released an official patch, probably making it the oldest updated game and last Thursday UC Berkeley started teaching StarCraft courses to its students.. Given the recent buzz, here is GameGoldie’s review of StarCraft!

Overview

This is a real-time strategy game like Age of Empires, Command & Conquer and some of the other titles, such as the Warcraft series, that Blizzard has produced. You play one of 3 races: the humanoid Terrans, the bug-like Zerg or the reptilian Protoss. Each race has its own advantages, with unique units, graphics and personality. There’s actually a fairly well-developed storyline for the game in the players’ guide, with histories of each race and run-downs of the characters you’ll encounter in the campaigns. The setting is 24th-Century futuristic, after Earth citizens have burned themselves out and have migrated to other parts of the galaxy. They run into the Zerg and the Protoss while fighting for planetary dominance on the Galactic Rim.

Download

Latest updates and instructions:

• 9:30 PM March 23, 2010 UTC: ThePirateBay removed the Windows download, please be patient while we find another reliable source or migrate to OpenBitTorrent
  • 9:03 AM March 25, 2010 UTC: We have updated the download source. This Windows Starcraft version is easy to install, just decompress the .7z archive with 7zip or WinZIP and run StarCraft.exe. There is no virus, we scanned the files with Nod32 and Kaspersky, however you should verify this yourself. Some of the instructional comments regarding ISO’s and virtual CD’s are now absolete.
  • October 10, 2010: New download source for the Windows version. BitLet (the beginners download method) wasn’t working with the old torrent file. However, the new one is very compact and takes less time to download. For install instructions read INSTALLATION.txt. The game installs and plays flawless, and it’s also virus free (please scan the files yourself). Please give us feedback using the comment form.

defending two bunkers from zerg acidy spit

Gameplay, Controls, Interface

Like most games of this type, gameplay is on a playing field, with controls and a mini-map at the bottom of the screen. Units are controlled via mouse or keyboard shortcuts. You gather resources, in this case minerals and Vespene gas, to afford to produce workers, military units, buildings and upgraded technologies. You can play as a single player on different campaigns and scenarios, or multiplayer via network or on the Internet at Battle.net. Play, especially in battle situations, is very fast, although games themselves can last quite a while (hours, even) especially if the players are evenly matched. If you’ve already played this type of game before, you should be able to adapt to the feel of play fairly easily. Some units move so fast that it can be quite a task to follow them quickly enough with your mouse to select them. You can also self-design single or multi-player scenarios, or modify design on some of the already-installed scenarios.

Graphics

attacking the zerg enemy with protoss

Overall, outstanding — some of the best out there. The little movies that they play during some of the campaigns and right after installation are amazing. They do restrict you to a certain screen resolution (640 x 480) but because of the smallish size of the units, this makes sense. Some units, particularly Terran buildings, look so much alike that it can be difficult to tell them apart until you have played for awhile and get used to the subtle differences. The whole visual effect is very dark, which can make units difficult to see sometimes, so you may want to turn up the brightness on your monitor if you are having trouble. The control panel, while graphically nice to look at, takes up a bit too much screen real estate and could have been made smaller in relation to the playing field to avoid having to scroll so much during play. Map borders on the playing field also could be better defined, as it seems as if there is more map to look at when scrolling to the novice player, and you just run into a frustrating dead-end.

Audio

Very good and clear. Distinguishing between some of the odd sounds the units and buildings make takes experience, and sometimes the noises seem a bit incongruous with what they are supposed to represent. Music is very good. Definitely a game to buy good speakers for.

System Requirements

Operating Systems
Windows 2000/XP/Vista Macintosh
  • Pentium 90 or higher
  • 16 MB RAM
  • DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
  • Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
  • 2X CD-ROM Drive for Game Play (4X for Cinematics)
  • PowerMac or Compatible
  • Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher is required
  • 16 MB RAM
  • 256 Color, 640×480 Display or Better
  • 2X CD-ROM Drive for Game Play (4X for Cinematics)

Documentation

Video snapshot of Zergling's body

There is a tech tree chart of the buildings and a good manual that comes with the game. Reading both before play is a good idea. The manual gives background on the storyline and each of the three races, plus gives more specifics about each unit. Considering that many units look similar and there isn’t a lot of on-screen information about what each unit is and does, the printed material is a big help. If you’re a fan, you may want to buy the StarCraft Battle Chest for $20 because it also includes strategy guides.

Parental Warning

This old game, while not as graphically violent as many games out there, is still fairly raw and also includes a fair amount of off-color language. Parents may want to restrict this game to older children.

Bottom Line

Starcraft definitely ranks at the top of the heap for games in its class, and this is not only my own opinion. The inclusion of female characters is welcome and mostly well-done, if a bit on the just-there-for-decoration side. The cinematic animations are outstanding, dramatic and funny. Even the voice-over acting is really good. Multiplayer games are fast and furious, though it can take a while to get used to how alliances and teaming works. Scenarios are fun, but unless you’ve played for a while already and are familiar with the game, the computer players will come in and kick your butt. Save those for when you’re used to playing. A great game with lots of replayability and hours of time-consuming fun.

More Pictures

Covers and labels

front cover back cover disc label

Wallpapers

protos wallpaper zerg wallpaper terran wallpaper

Screenshots

terran vulture attack protos protos carrier attack humans starcraft human base

Starcraft by Blizzard Entertainment, reviewed by Stilgar on 2009-02-01T15:06:49+00:00 rating 5.0 out of 5

This entry was posted in Real-Time

161 Comments

1. Dylan
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Hey i downloaded the straight to my computer option for pc and its been a whole day i let it run into the night and everything. it finished downloading in about a half hour.

2. thejhonee
    Posted August 20, 2009 at 4:09 am | Permalink

heey, does it work at battle.net??

=D

• admin
      Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Do you own a paid license?

3. Posted August 20, 2009 at 10:01 am | Permalink

esta buenisimo me gusta mucho ok

4. Rock153
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

[I use my mac book since my PC is locked right now]

Mac file [Broodwar OSX] Requires both CDs (Copyable CD’s work too).
    You can find Broodwar RIP files for PC. No CD’s required.

Try googling the latest patch for SC as a .rar or RIP file (Recommend you have WINrar program to seperate if not already installed on computer.)

http://icyhell.net (FREE CD Keys).

5. Introspective
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 3:21 am | Permalink

The trailers shows that sequel will be at least as good as original was. But this delaying of game launch seems more matter of monetization strategy, not development issues.

6. Danny
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I have Brood War expansion and that disc works just fine but, my Starcraft disc is all scratched up and everytime i try to download it my computer locks up. So i was wondering if i could get a link to download Starcraft because i still have the CD key.

• admin
      Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Yes, download just the StarCraft ISO. If you still have the original CD-key, then you will be able to play on battle.net

7. Posted August 25, 2009 at 9:03 am | Permalink

i want to play this game but lost the CD!

8. Keffertjuh
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I got it and the first time I used it I made it to the installer screen but it said I should get the original first…but when i pressed the original I got all errors and it didnt stop giving errors since…can’t do anything anymore without getting errors :(

any ideas?

9. Anthony
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

There is a huge problem. It says 100% complete and seeding above it. But all I got on my computer are the patches and the key. What went wrong? Why can’t I play the game?

10. Keffertjuh
    Posted September 5, 2009 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Ok I figured out the problems I had earlier with error messages (dunno if my message on that got posted though…)
    New issue: I need a CD…should I put everything from Broodwar on a cd to make it playable?

11. jack
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I had full starcraft game but my stupid sister unistaled it and before my sister I sold cd for 50 dollars to some guy. I thinked I got lucky, but when I saw how awsom the game is I broke my right fist punching at rooms wall.Since then I downloaded over 500 starcraft demos for now I youst been satisfied by online demo version .there is also IV ans V version but they are stupid comparing to full version.

12. Richard
    Posted September 20, 2009 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Hey RhysP,
    go to google and search “running Starcraft without CD” one of the first options will take you directly to the Blizzard Entertainment website. Here, it gives you step by step instructions on how to run StarCraft without the CD and it has links that will take you to the CORRECT updated patch that will make all this work

13. Furypaw
    Posted September 20, 2009 at 4:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for the link, my iBook doesn’t have an optical drive and my PowerMac rejects the starcraft disk :P

14. alex
    Posted September 20, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

i like this game because u fight momsters.

15. Nikolai
    Posted September 27, 2009 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I hope that this is the real stuff……. if it is……. then…. oh man….. YOU ROCK!!!!! i loved this game and i couldn’t find it anymore at the usual game store….. they said they dont have a copy ne’more…. it sucks….. but if this download works like a charm….. YOU ARE AN A+ in my book!

THX MAN!…

16. Talon Jackson
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

You should make a movie of Starcraft, because that whould be realy awsome.

17. TyDawg
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Yes I just installed starcraft/Broodwar after downloading it off htis site, and I was wondering how am I supposed to get by the fact that it still asks you to insert CD when you go to Play??
    If I could get an answer ASAP would be greatly appreciated! I have not played this game for so long, its time I get back into it! :D

18. Bob
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

how long does it take to seed?

• admin
      Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

As long as you want. Seeding means the download is complete and it’s sharing the files so others can download.

19. KurokiK
    Posted October 7, 2009 at 1:50 am | Permalink

This looks great, but my internet is very slow…
    Looking at your comments, I encountered these unfamiliar terms like Magic ISO
    Can somebody just tell me how the whole process went (step by step), from the length it took to download and activate the game?

20. mef
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 11:42 am | Permalink

i played this game way way way way way way back. like grade3-4

till now i still think its an awesome game.